EVERGREEN CHARTER SCHOOLGuidance and Counseling
Evergreen Charter School Social Workers help parents, students, and school staff identify needs that interfere with learning and work with students to get the services they need. Social Workers work with general and special education students and their families to resolve social, emotional and behavioral problems. We do this through assessment, consultation with school staff and community providers, through development and implementation of behavior management plans, and providing indirect and direct services. School Social Workers help to bridge school, home and community to help students be as successful as possible.
What is a Social Worker?
- School Social Workers are trained mental health professionals who can assist with mental health concerns, behavioral concerns, positive behavioral support, academic, and classroom support, consultation with teachers, parents, and administrators as well as provide individual and group counseling/therapy.
- Providing crisis intervention.
- Developing intervention strategies to increase academic success.
- Assisting with conflict resolution and anger management.
- Helping the child develop appropriate social interaction skills.
- Assisting the child in understanding and accepting self and others.
- Participating in special education assessment meetings as well as individual Educational Planning Meetings
- Working with those problems in a child’s living situation that affect the child’s adjustment in school. (home, school, and community)
- Preparing a social or developmental history on a child with a disability.
- Counseling (group, individual and/or family)
- Mobilizing family, school, and community resources to enable the child to learn as effectively as possible in his or her educational program
- Assisting in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies.
- Identifying and reporting child abuse and neglect.
- Providing case management for students and families requiring multiple resources.
Services to Parents/Families
- Working with parents to facilitate their support in their children’s school adjustment.
- Alleviating family stress to enable the child to function more effectively in school & community.
- Assisting parents to access programs available to students with special needs.
Services to School Personnel
- Providing staff with essential information to better understand factors (cultural, societal, economic, familial, health, etc.) affecting a student’s performance and behavior.
- Assessing students with mental health concerns.
- Assisting teachers with behavior management.
- Providing direct support to staff.
- Obtaining and coordinating community resources to meet students’ needs.
- Helping school districts receive adequate support from social and mental health agencies.
- Advocating for new and improved community/school service to meet the needs of students and families.
- Helping the system respond effectively to each child’s needs
The MS/HS Guidance Counselor aims to help students thrive academically, personally, and socially, and assist them in exploring their options for life after high school.” This includes assisting students in making academic and career plans. The Guidance Counselor can help students overcome barriers to success by working with students with things such as: setting up academic goals, assist with college and career exploration, and assisting in the college application process to name a few.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Veronica Ortiz at 516-216-5981 ext.261 or at email@example.com.
Our Psychologist would like each student to feel a sense of belonging at Evergreen Charter School. It is very important for students to have a trusting relationship with at least one adult in our schools. The Psychologist at Evergreen is here to provide socio-emotional support and crisis intervention for our students, support and community resources for our families, and teach strategies that promote mental health wellbeing for our school community at large.